Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Love Calendula


There is a happy orange glow emanating from my vegetable garden on this gray and dreary January morning. The veggie garden has largely been a disappointment this year. I’ve been blaming it on weather, which has been uncharacteristically cold and gray for Central Florida. But regardless of its effects on the tomatoes and basil, one plant has declared itself immune to winter’s curse: Calendula officinalis, aka, pot marigold.




Back in my days at the UT Trial Garden, we used to plant it every year, and every year it would get torched by Botrytis fungus by mid-summer. Obviously it wasn’t happy with the humidity of a southern summer. I tried it again as a winter annual in the trial garden at the place in South Florida where I worked. At its peak it was mediocre. I guess I tried it again this year more out of habit than anything else—and because someone gave me a few plants–and I finally get it! Take a look at these babies and see if you can resist smiling.



How can you not love those happy flowers? Dontcha just want to draw smiley faces on them all? Anyway, according to cultivation information that’s out there, they aren’t frost hardy, although I haven’t covered mine during our cold snaps and they’ve done beautifully. I suspect they must be able to withstand a light frost but maybe not a full-blown freeze. Past experience (and “the literature”) says they don’t like excessive heat and humidity, so we deep-southerners must grow them in the winter, as we do with pansies, dianthus, snapdragons and petunias.

I’ve always heard that the petals are edible and are sometimes added to soups and salads for color effect, although I’ve never actually tried it, not having had a lot of actual flowers bloom before the plants croaked. It’s also said that they are used in various medicinal concoctions and to make fabric dyes, which gets my Mother Nature/science geek gene all excited. Part of me wants to clear out the entire back yard and scatter zillions of calendula seeds so I can harvest the flowers, boil them down and see what happens when I soak old sheets and t-shirts in the resulting liquid…for varying intervals…and with different mordants…this could become a big project. OK, maybe next year. For now I’ll just force myself to enjoy the flowers on the plants I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment